Sunday, December 18, 2011

I made cookies and no one got hurt...

I. DON'T. COOK. I accept it. I hope you can too, without judgement. That being said, I'm completely okay with you judging just how much I enjoy eating, especially really good, fattening food. And if it's good, chances are I didn't have any part of creating it. I do know how to reheat things (I make waffles in the morning in the toaster, but I have burned myself while doing it); and man, you should see me microwave a meal! I can see why people like to cook, I wish I did, but I just really like to eat so much more (my friends joke that as soon as we are done eating one meal we are already thinking about what and when our next meal will be) but this post isn't really about meals. It's about a rare sight: me making something in the kitchen...COOKIES. Yes, I baked some cookies and no fire fighters were called.

Every year, since I can remember, my mom makes Butter Cookies (except in our case they should be called Margarine Cookies, but that doesn't really have the same aural appeal). Well, I made me some Butter/Margarine Cookies today and I want to share the recipe. I know I've been a little MIA from this blog. I have written posts but I never got around to hitting the send button...I guess I'm not ready to share those, yet. So as an apology for my absence, please enjoy the recipe (sorry you'll have to make them yourself). Seriously they're like the easiest cookies to make and I'm not really a baker either. Let's begin...

INGREDIENTS:

½ lb stick margarine or butter
½ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ cups of flour
chocolate chips
pinch of salt


Put margarine in bowl, then add a pinch of salt and mix it with a fork. Add the eggs, mix those. Then add sugar, mix. Lastly add the flour, a cup at a time. When it gets too hard to mix with the fork, use your hands. As you mix, you may need to add a little more flour until you get the right texture (not too hard, not too soft, the batter should come off your hands easily; well in the best case scenario it shouldn't stick to your hands).

Once it’s the right texture put the batter in a cookie press:



Press into a pan and add the chocolate chips:



Since I've made them for Christmas I use the tree and flower (like a poinsettia plant), there are many other attachments that come with the cookie press and you can use them for other occasions, but I only bake one day a year, in December:



Put in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for approximately 10 minutes (depends on your oven). Bottom should be browned a little:



Take them out of the oven (this is the hard/dangerous part for me) and then place cookies on a little tray when they are cool enough (you would think this would be self explanatory but you can never be too careful):



You can add powdered sugar when cooled, and then give some away. This is a good idea because it makes you seem generous but really it makes you makes you eat less cookies, so you'll have less weight to lose in January (you're welcome):



Holy crap, they look normal and even taste good. It's another Christmas miracle!

ENJOY!!!! Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. Celebrate!! Celebrate some thing each day, you're still here, you might as well enjoy it. Eat a cookie (or a handful), even if I made it!

Til next time!

xoxo

No comments: